Our cleaning team is now 600 strong and working around the clock to keep our trains and stations clean, so you can travel with confidence. All we ask is that you play your part too. Together, we can keep the north moving.
What are we doing to make your journey safe?
- We're cleaning all our carriages and key stations every day, with a team of over 600 dedicated cleaners
- We're placing extra focus on cleaning touchpoints like handrails and armrests, using an anti-viral sanitiser which stops the virus for longer
- Our staff are on hand to help and are working harder than ever to to make your journey safe and enjoyable
- Our team are continuing to help customers with additional needs through our assisted travel scheme
- We've been busy improving our stations, ready for your return
- Our trains are ventilated with fresh air either by air condition and ventilation systems or by leaving windows open during your journey.
How can you play your part and travel safe?
Please check the latest national travel restrictions prior to your journey and only travel if you need to.
Keep up to date with all things Northern
The best way to keep up with the latest travel advice from Northern is to sign up to our monthly newsletter. You'll be the first to know of any travel updates and the latest offers from around the network.
What's changed whilst you've been away?
Over the past couple of months, we've been working hard to get things ready for your return - and a lot has changed. From new trains to contact-free parking, there's so much you can look forward to when you need to travel again.
£2.5m renovation of 40+ stations
Making sure our stations look their best for your return to rail travel.
More accessible stations
Welcoming mobility scooters at 100+ stations to improve the journeys of all our customers.
Travel in style
Our new look fleet is made up of 100 new state-of-the-art trains and another 240 fully-refurbished.
Sit back, take in the views and enjoy a more comfortable journey.
Extra clean carriages
Our 600-strong cleaning team are working round the clock. Thanks team.
Better ways to pay
To keep you safe as you travel with us, we're making sure we have many contactless payments available.
At Northern we have plenty of train ticket types that enable you to save money across our 500 stations in the North and beyond.
- Save up to 65% off with Advanced tickets
- Duo tickets allow you to save 25% when travelling together
- Rangers and Rovers allow you to hop on and off all day for a great price
- Save on the day and get a cheaper ticket up to 15 minutes before you travel
Book with confidence - Make changes fee free
You can amend date and time of Advanced tickets fee free up until 6pm the day before you travel, until 31/12/21.
Fare price difference may apply. Advance tickets purchased online can be exchanged for a voucher for future journey. Fee free changes also apply to Off-Peak and Anytime tickets, up to the date of departure.