Stay Safe and Avoid Accidents
- Running at the station can lead to trips and slips so take your time - arrive a little earlier to avoid rushing through the station
- Take care on stairs and escalators - keep left and hold the handrail
- Carrying luggage, extra bags or maybe a buggy? Use the lift where possible and don’t battle with the stairs
- When using the lift, stand clear of the doors and take care stepping in and out
- Phones and tablets can be distracting. Take extra care using them in the station
- Help others less able than yourself if they’re struggling
- If you can, fold your buggy and carry it on and off the train but don't leave small children alone while you do this
- If that isn't practicable leave the child in the buggy, pull the buggy to the door backwards, get off and then lift the buggy down after you
- Please don't block aisles or doors on the train
Wheelchairs and ramps
- If you have pre-booked assistance our staff should be waiting. However, if they are not, please tell the conductor
- Tell our staff what you need them to do. They will position the ramp for you but they will not push you up or down it unless you ask them to
- If your wheelchair is electric they will guide you onto the ramp but they cannot control the wheelchair down the ramp or stop you falling if you misjudge things
Mind the gap
- Let others off before you get on
- Use the train handrails where possible
- Ask the conductor for help with bags, cases, pushchairs etc.
- Help small children to get on and off safely
Help us to help you.
- Ask the conductor for help if you need it
- Take extra care in wet or icy weather
- Keep back from the platform edge even if no train is due
- Step in if you see someone struggling
Did you know?
Northern carry 100 million customers a year and 99.999% of them never have an accident. However, if you do have an accident:
- Tell the conductor, a member of station staff, or our Customer Experience Centre
- Give them full details of your journey as we may need to tell another train operator
- If it happened on board please tell us the train number (inside on a notice at the end of each carriage, and painted on the outside of each carriage).