Northern is doing everything it can to help Grand National visitors travel into and out of Liverpool Lime Street on Saturday 8 April. However, due to industrial action, the services Northern will operate are expected to be extremely busy and customers are urged to plan carefully and consider all of their travel options.
Northern’s last services out of Liverpool Lime Street will be much earlier than any normal Grand National day, running at 7.23pm (Wigan North Western), 8.29pm (Urmston) and 8.46pm (Newton-le-Willows).
On Saturday 8 April:
- If you want to travel direct to Manchester after the Grand National, please use other train operator services – this will free up space for customers who need to get to the intermediate stations Northern will stop at between Liverpool and Manchester.
- Northern’s last train leaving Liverpool Lime Street is the 8.16pm service to Newton-le-Willows. We expect this service to be very busy and cannot guarantee everyone a place on this train.
- Northern will operate two services per hour from Manchester to Liverpool Lime Street (one per hour between Manchester Oxford Road and Liverpool Lime Street and one per hour between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street), with capacity doubled to four carriages.
- Services between Ormskirk and Aintree will be served by a Merseyrail replacement bus service which starts and ends at Old Roan.
- Customers travelling from Preston and stations further north on this line should travel via Wigan North Western and St Helens Central, from where there will be two trains per hour into Liverpool Lime Street.
Check replacement timetable on our industrial action page.
Travel details for some of our most popular routes to and from Liverpool are as follows:
Liverpool Lime Street - Preston
Trains will run from Liverpool to Wigan North Western calling at Huyton, St Helens Central and Garswood only. Connections to other train operators are available at Wigan North Western station.
Liverpool Lime Street - Manchester
Trains will run between Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Oxford Road via Warrington Central and between Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Victoria via Huyton and Wigan.
TransPeninne Express and East Midlands Trains are operating their full timetable as normal.
Liverpool Lime Street - Chester
Merseyrail is not running a service from Chester to Liverpool. Their service into and out of Liverpool will start and terminate at Hooton.
TransPennine Express, East Midlands Trains, London Midland and Virgin Trains will all strengthen their services by adding extra carriages and/or services on Saturday, whilst National Express also provides services between Manchester and Liverpool on 8 April. For timetable information on other train services, please go to National Rail Enquiries.
For full details of Merseyrail services, please check here.
On Grand National days we would usually provide additional train services to help as many people as possible enjoy their day at Aintree. However, due to industrial action, the services we are able to provide are limited. We have provided extra carriages on the trains we are able to operate wherever possible.
We advise customers to plan their journey and ensure they allow extra time to travel to this event.
On the day, please use our Journey Check page for up-to date train running information.