Cumbria’s only visitor attraction telling the 300-year story of the county’s Infantry Regiment and its soldiers past and present.
The museum has been located in Carlisle Castle since 1932 but in 2014, with the help of Heritage Lottery Funding, it was moved from the Inner Ward to Alma block in the Outer Ward.
This provided more space and better access for visitors, and gives them the opportunity to display items more effectively.
Covering over 300 years of military history the museum tells the stories of the 34th Regiment of Foot, the 55th Regiment of Foot, Border Regiment, King’s Own Royal Border Regiment and even the current serving Regiment The Duke of Lancaster’s.
The museum now reinforces the strong links between Cumbria’s regiments and the local community, and shares the remarkable stories of courage, loyalty and service.
The museum will continue to be an important source of information for former soldiers and their families, historians and family history researchers. By reaching out to schools and colleges, they’ll help keep the memories alive for future generations.
Cumbria’s Museum of Military Life is run by the King’s Own Royal Border Regiment Museum Fund, a Registered Charitable Trust and accredited under the Museums, Libraries and Archives Registration Scheme. They are managed by a board of trustees and run on a daily basis by a committed team of curatorial staff.
Cumbria’s Museum of Military Life tells the story of Cumbria’s County Infantry Regiment and its soldiers past and present. The intertwined history of 300 years of British Infantry Regiments is detailed through a great variety of items including uniforms, medals, weapons and silver from 1702 to the presents day.