Ilkley Manor House is a medieval Grade 1 listed building in a conservation area, set alongside Riverside Park on the banks of the River Wharfe in the heart of Ilkley, West Yorkshire.
Built originally in the mid-14th century within the footprint of a Roman Fort (listed as a Scheduled Monument in 1947), with connections to the river goddess Verbeia, and next door to the historic All Saints’ Church, this Grade 1 listed building suggests that Ilkley’s civil and religious masters in the early Middle Ages were capitalising on the prestige of Ancient Rome by building on the same ancient site.
Ilkley Manor House Trust was established in 2016 with a view to opening Ilkley Manor House to the community on an interim basis, whilst a more strategic long term plan was developed following its closure by the local authority in 2015.
The Trust’s main purpose is to secure the future of Ilkley Manor House as a free public and community asset for future generations by working in partnership with residents of Ilkley and the more diverse communities of Bradford and Keighley in a common effort to create an ambitious heritage, learning and creative quarter at Ilkley Manor House.
How to get here
Nearest train station: Ilkley
Distance from train station: 0.3 miles
Address: Ilkley Manor House, Castle Yard, Ilkley LS29 9DT
Tel: 01943 607030
Open every weekend 11am – 4pm. Open at other times – always check the website for more details.
Yes to the ground floor of the Manor House.